The Center for the Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) awarded the title of Unhealthiest Meal to Long John Silver for taking a healthful fish and converting it into a fatty, salty “heart attack on a hook.”
CSPI executive director Michael F Jacobson reports that the Big Catch contains 33 grams of trans fat, which is 16.5 times the American Heart Association recommends as the daily limit fats for a 2000-calorie diet.
But wait—there’s more: 19 grams of saturated fat, 3700 milligrams of sodium and a whopping 1320 calories.
And the runners up are . . . .
2. IHOP’s Country Fried Steak and Eggs, boasting 1700 calories, 3000 milligrams of sodium and 23 grams of saturated fat. CSPI says it’s the nutritional equivalent of five egg McMuffins covered in 10 packets of sugar.
3. Smoothie King’s Smoothie with 1460 calories contains more added sugar in one drink than someone on a 2000-calorie diet should consume in more than three days.
4. Johnny Rocket’s Bacon Cheddar Double weighs in at 1770 calories, 50 grams of fat and 2,380 milligrams of sodium. Add sweet potato fries and a Big Apple Shake and you’ll have a 3500-calorie lunch.
5. Five Guys’ fries contain more calories than a burger: 1500 calories and over 70 grams of fat.
6. Cheesecake Factory’s Bistro Shrimp Pasta dinner has a whopping 3120 calories with 89 grams of saturated fat—the equivalent of six Big Macs.
7. Cheesecake Factory’s Crispy Chicken Costoletta packs 89 grams of saturated fat and 2720 milligrams of sodium into 2610 calories. It has as many calories and twice the saturated fat of an entire KFC 12-piece Original Recipe bucket.
8. Maggiano’s Little Italy’s Veal Porterhouse offers 2710 calories, 45 grams of saturated fat and 3700 milligrams of sodium, more than twice the amount of daily recommended intake for someone on a 2000-calorie diet.
9. Chili’s Full Rack of Baby Back Ribs has 6490 milligrams of sodium—nearly three teaspoons of salt. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1500 milligrams of sodium daily.
10. Maggiano’s Little Italy’s Chocolate Zuccotto Cake contains 1820 calories and 62 grams of saturated fat. That’s the equivalent of an entire Entenmann’s Chocolate Fudge Cake, according to CSPI.
Source: Discovery News, July 8, 2013